Flavor adventures - Departing Daily
A Warming Winter Soup Featuring UFO Winter Blonde
The flavors in this curried beer & butternut squash soup are perfect for the colder weather. When you pair it with our Winter Blonde, you can’t go wrong. Prepare yourself for another masterpiece from @caffeinated.kitchen.
What You Need:
– 1 tablespoon canola oil (if cooking on stovetop)
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 small yellow onion, diced
– 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
– 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
– 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
– 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
– 1 12 oz. can of beer
– 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1″ cubes
– 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk, divided
– 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
– 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
– Optional garnish; cilantro, peanuts, coconut milk, toasted seeds
What You Do:
1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
2. When the oil is shiny, add the onions and cook about 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
3. Add the garlic, ginger, curry paste, and salt and cinnamon. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute, until garlic is fragrant.
4. Add the butternut squash and stir to coat with what’s in the pot.
5. Add the beer and the broth and bring to a boil. When boiling, reduce the heat and turn down to a simmer and leave it until the butternut squash is soft. This should take 20 – 30 minutes.
6. Using either an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender, purée the soup. If using the regular blender, add it back to the pot afterwards.
7. Add the coconut milk, reserving about 3 tbsp for garnish, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
8. Serve in individual bowls. Use a spoon to drizzle coconut milk and desired toppings and serve hot.