Flavor adventures - Departing Daily
Lemon Shandy Bars
What do you do when life hands you lemons? Mix them UFO Big Squeeze to create these delicious lemon shandy bars. The perfect treat to enjoy with a cold grapefruit shandy. This recipe was crafted by our friend Vanessa at @caffeinated.kitchen.
What You Need:
– 2 sticks butter, unsalted, chilled
– ½ cup sugar
– 2 cups flour
– ¼ tsp salt
For the filling:
– 4 large eggs
– 1 ½ cups sugar
– ¼ cup flour
– ⅓ cups lemon juice, fresh squeezed if possible
– ⅓ cup UFO Big Squeeze
– Zest of one lemon
– 2 tbsp corn starch
– 4 tbsp powdered sugar, for serving
What You Do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and line a 9 x 13 baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Cut your butter into tablespoons and put into a food processor with the flour, sugar and salt.
3. Pulse until crumbs begin to form then dump into your parchement lined pan
4. Spread an even layer of crumb base and press firmly.
5. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until the crust is set and the edges are golden
6. While the crust is cooling, prepare your filling. You want the crust to be room temperature before you add the filling
7. Whisk together the eggs and sugar until combined
8. Add the flour and whisk again until combined
9. Whisk in the lemon zest, cornstarch and then gently pour in the lemon juice and the shandy and whisk until combined again
10. Pour your lovely, lemony filling over the cooled crust and bake for another 20 – 25 minutes
11. When the center is just center and a nice crust has formed on the top of your filling, you’ll know it’s done.
12. Let cool to room temperature before covering and chilling for at least two hours, but overnight is ideal.
13. Before serving, dust with powdered sugar!