Flavor adventures - Departing Daily
UFO Winter Blonde Mussels & Fries
We teamed up with our friend Vanessa @caffeinated.kitchen to bring this flavorful Thai inspired Beer Mussels & Fries recipe to life with the help of our UFO Winter Blonde.
What You Need:
– 2 tbsp butter
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 4 cloves of minced garlic
– 3 inches of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
– ½ teaspoon cayenne
– 1 small-medium yellow onion, diced
– 1 can coconut milk
– 1 can beer
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 1 lb of mussels
– 1 bag of frozen french fries, shoestring or your preference
– Salt and pepper, to taste
What You Do:
1. Before starting the mussels, put your desired amount of fries on a baking sheet and toss with the remaining olive oil, salt, pepper and a teaspoon of minced garlic.
2. Cook the fries according to the time and temperature of the package directions.
3. While the fries bake, melt the butter over medium heat in a large pot that has a lid
4. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and heat until the oil is shiny
5. Add the onions and saute until soft. They should sizzle and pop when they go in!
6. Add 3 cloves of minced garlic and sliced ginger and cook for another minute. It will become very fragrant.
7. Add the coconut milk and beer to the pot and stir until well mixed. Add the cinnamon stick.
8. Bring the milk and beer mixture to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium.
9. Carefully add the mussels so the shells don’t break.
10. Cover and simmer until the mussels open, about 6 minutes. Any that haven’t opened after 10 minutes – throw out.
11. Ladle broth and mussels into a bowl and garnish with scallions, fresh lime. Serve with your freshly baked fries on the side.